Twilight Hack Guide
The Twilight Hack is one of the only safe, public ways to enable homebrew on an unmodded Wii. The Twilight Hack is achieved by playing a hacked game save for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which executes a homebrew application from an SD card. The Twilight Hack was created by Team Twiizers.
Twilight Hack 0.1 beta1 is compatible with System Menu up to 3.3. 0.1 beta2 is compatible with System Menu 3.4
Version 0.1beta1 for System Menu up to 3.3
Version 0.1beta2 for System Menu 3.4
Note: Both downloads are on the same page so you have to download the correct version for your Wii.
What you will need:
- SD card (No larger than 2GB, not SDHC) formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. (The Wii System Menu, which is used to copy the save, only reads SD cards, not SDHC)
- SD card reader for PC or a PC with one built-in. (Cameras or other devices can work)
- Wii version of The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess that has been played on your Wii at least once.
- Some homebrew to load (In this case, the HackMii Installer)
Installation of the Twilight Hack
Inside the Twilight Hack zip file you will find versions for all three regions. You can copy all of them to your SD card, but you will need to choose the correct one to copy to your Wii based on your version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. American users also need to determine the correct save slot to load once inside Twilight Princess. The easiest way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner circle of the data surface with the ones below.
|Region||Inner Circle Text||File||Save slot|
|Europe/Australia (EUR)||RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzdp/data.bin||Twilight Hack|
|Asia (JPN)||RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzdj/data.bin||Twilight Hack|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack0|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack0|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack2|
- (optional) If you would like to keep your Zelda savefile, copy it to your SD card and save it onto your computer to put back on the Wii later.
- Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
- Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii
- Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Copy", and click Yes
- Put your SD card in your computer, and copy the "private" folder from the card to a safe place.
- Copy the "private" folder from the Twilight Hack download to the root of your SD card. (Root means not in any folders; Just on the SD card.)
- Take your "boot.elf" from the HackMii Installer download and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- On your Wii go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii.
- Find your own Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase", and click Yes. (Which is why you copy it before)
- Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save that corresponds to your game region.
- Click "Copy" and then Yes. Now exit out of the menu.
- NOTE: If you are using System Menu 3.4, you must immediately put the Twilight Hack to use. Turning off or running some other channel or game will have the System Menu delete the Twilight Hack savegame, and you'll have to copy it over again.
- Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
- If you have the USA version of the game, load the "TwilightHack0" or "TwilightHack2" version of the game as appropriate (see above). Otherwise, load the "Twilight Hack" save game.
- Once in the game, either walk backwards or talk to the man standing in front of you.
- The homebrew on your SD card will load. Enjoy!
- If you get an error such as Failed to read boot.elf (-1), your SD card may not be formatted as FAT. Try reformatting your SD card with the Official SD Card Format Tool
- [US version] If your game freezes and no code runs, you must use the other save slot (between TwilightHack0 or TwilightHack2)
See here for more info about the Twilight Hack