NOTE: Version 1 of Bannerbomb does not work with System Menu 4.2, it only works with System Menu 4.1 or older. However Bannerbomb v2 has been released by Comex, and works on 4.2. There is no Bannerbomb for System Menu 4.3, instead use Letterbomb.
The exploit works by using a malformed banner to crash the Wii and run code to load the boot.dol placed in the root of the SD card. It can be used to install the Homebrew Channel and BootMii via the HackMii Installer.
Bannerbomb V1 (System Menu 4.1 or less)
Bannerbomb V2 (System Menu 4.0 - 4.2, inclusive)
What you need:
- SD card (or, if you're on System Menu 4.0 or higher, an SDHC card) formatted as FAT(16) or FAT32. Most, if not all, SD cards are already in this format so you can skip this step unless your card is not detected by your Wii.
- SD card reader for PC or a PC with one built-in. (Cameras or other devices can work)
- Bannerbomb channel data on your SD Card. (Download above)
- Some homebrew to load (In this case, the HackMii Installer)
- A System Menu below 4.3. (System Menu 4.3 prevents Bannerbomb from executing and displays a 002 or 004 error.)
- If your SD card has a "private" folder with saved channels, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up. (You can skip this step if you don't have any channels on the SD card. Saves are fine.)
- Copy the Bannerbomb "private" folder to the root of your SD card.
- Take the HackMii Installer "boot.elf" and copy it to the root directory of your SD card. (Root means not in any folders, just on the SD card.)
- Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
- - For Bannerbomb v1: Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Channels --> SD Card.
- For Bannerbomb v2: Go to the SD Card Menu on the main System Menu screen. (Select the little SD icon)
- A message should appear asking to "load boot.dol/.elf". If it freezes or does not appear, download the next .zip file from the Bannerbomb website and start over.
- The homebrew on your SD card will load. Enjoy!
Please note that Bannerbomb does not work for everyone at this time.
If your Wii freezes while trying to use Bannerbomb, follow these diagnostics:
- Repeat the procedure with the same version once or twice. It can be fickle.
- Make sure you're not trying to use the SD Menu on System Menu 4.0 (the little blue SD card button in the lower left) unless you are using V2.
- Check that you pressed the Channels rather than Save Data button in Data Management.
- Make sure that Bannerbomb is the only channel on the SD card.
- Try a different version of Bannerbomb. Most people should be able to use the recommended version of BannerBomb given, but some might need another version.
- Eject the SD card, go into the channels menu, then on SD where it says no SD card is inserted, then insert the card (works for some SD cards at least)